This year, this is a day that cannot be ignored.
As the world is in the midst of a hunger crisis, with some communities facing catastrophic levels of famine… we must act.
Canadian Foodgrains Bank is an organization focused on global hunger. Our network takes action: Providing people with food for today and the tools and support for tomorrow.
And as a Christian response to hunger, we know that prayer is a powerful endeavor we can all take. It expresses faith and hope and moves us toward further action.
Though May 28, World Hunger Day, is only one day, we know people facing hunger need our action every day.
Over the coming week, we’re asking you to pray for these seven things:
- Saturday 28 May – Pray for the women, men and children in 36 countries who know the painful pangs of hunger all too frequently. Pray for their physical comfort, that they will be able to find sources of food and encouragement. Pray that they will know that they are not forgotten and that despite their suffering, they are made in the image of a God who loves them. Pray for the caregivers who are watching their loved ones suffer with hunger. Open the doors so they will find sources of help. Pray that despite this very real hardship they will find encouragement.
- Sunday 29 May – Pray that people around the world will care about the millions facing hunger on a regular basis. Pray the barriers to food access become a cause that individuals, communities and even governments want to fight against. Pray that everyone will look to see how they can find ways to give, pray, learn and advocate for the millions of people around the world who are living with the reality of knowing there will be days of not knowing where even one meal is coming from.
- Monday 30 May – Pray for rain to be sent on the land where drought is preventing farmers from growing food. Pray that when the rains come, the grounds will be able to absorb it so that floods do not destroy livelihoods and crops.
- Tuesday 31 May – Pray for the people working in communities where hunger is frequent. Pray that they would be strengthened and encouraged in their work. Pray that they will have the resources to serve all who come for help.
- Wednesday 1 June – Pray for conflict to cease and peace to prevail in places where violence is the primary driver of hunger and food insecurity.
- Thursday 2 June – Pray for the people in parts of Ethiopia, Yemen, South Sudan and Nigeria who are braced for starvation in the coming months. Pray that the world will be able to act to prevent the horrifying reality of famine.
- Friday 3 June – Pray that in the midst of our own business and difficulties, we will not turn away from the suffering, despite the large numbers and the pain.
Thank you for joining with us in prayer, as we align our hearts with God and His compassionate love for people who are hungry.