International Learning Tours and capacity building events are an opportunity for Canadians to deepen their understanding of global hunger and food security; they also equip participants to share their learning with other Canadians.
About Learning Tours
Learning tours are not holidays or mission trips. Considerable pre-tour background reading is required, and accommodations are basic. Food Security Learning Tours are limited to a maximum of 8-12 participants.
Canadian Foodgrains Bank also requires participants to share their experiences and insights by speaking to local church and community groups upon their return. Considerable time is spent with orientation and sessions to build capacity for engaging other Canadians upon returning home.
In particular, the Foodgrains Bank hopes participants use what they have learned to help others better understand the complexities of poverty, hunger and food production in the developing world.
Three Main Goals of the Learning Tour Program
- To build awareness of and appreciation for member programming by introducing participants to Foodgrains Bank members’ and partners’ programming.
- To facilitate learning about global food security, and to share that learning with other Canadians.
- To cultivate relationships between Canadians and people around the world, and build solidarity by providing opportunities for tour participants, staff, and their hosts to connect in a meaningful way.
Some of the Activities Aimed at Achieving These Goals
- Required pre-trip reading materials for participants on various topics including region specific information and root causes of hunger and poverty,
- In country visits to Foodgrains Bank and Member supported and/or affiliated projects
- Where possible and appropriate, tours include several nights stay with local hosts’ where meaningful relationship building can take place.
- Participants are required to speak and/or write publicly about their experiences after their return to Canada, as well as take advocacy actions, so some practical activities to help with this are included in the tour.
Click here to see photos from a recent young adult learning tour to Nicaragua
Click here to see photos from a recent learning tour to Kenya and Rwanda