We invite you to join us in prayer for the
environment, and to take action in your own life to support a healthy
The Climate Fund
Many people who are hungry in the developing world feel the consequences
of climate change in their stomachs. A changing climate is pushing many
vulnerable people further into poverty and hunger.
That’s why Canadian Foodgrains Bank created a new Climate Fund
helps smallholder farmers, who depend on agriculture for their
livelihoods, adapt to changes in the climate, including more extreme
weather, which contributes to droughts and floods.
The fund invites Canadians
to consider their contribution to greenhouse gas emissions in their
everyday life, including air travel, driving, and heating their home,
and then to make a contribution to help smallholder farmers in the
developing world adapt to the changes they are already experiencing.
Consider making a donation to the climate fund
Prayer & Worship Resources for a healthy planet
For people of faith, prayer is a powerful way to respond to needs around us, including the needs of creation. Use the resources below to help you, your family, and your community focus on creation care this Earth Day, April 22.
Call to Worship (Psalm 148)
The Story of Creation
Scripture Litany (Psalm 8)
Prayers of the People for Creation
Affirmation of Faith for Earth Day
Benediction for Earth Day
More Creation Care Resources
This beautiful earth sustains us. Whether or not we recognize the mysteries of all living and non-living things, God is indeed present in them.
As we think of the nearly one billion people who go without adequate meals, we know that many of them play a role in producing food. Being good stewards of the earth’s resources–and doing our part to restore balance and health to the environment–are important ways to help end global hunger.
More Worship Resources:
Blessing for Earth Day
Earth Day Confession
Earth Day Prayer: We see you
Prayer of Commitment: Wise stewards
Prayer: Creation’s song of praise
Prayer of Confession: Earth Day
Prayer of Confession: Loving creation
Prayer of Thanksgiving
Prayer: Stewards of the earth
Prayers of the People: God in creation
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
- Francis of Assisi
Want to learn more about creation and food production? Click here
- Calculate your weekly consumption of water and decide with your household some ways to reduce it by 10%.
- Find seeds of a local heirloom plant variety (available at many garden centers–just ask), set it in potted soil in your home. As it grows, reflect on the diverse beauty of Creation.
- Find a farmer or gardener who knows about growing food. Spend an afternoon working beside them, learning and listening.
- Discuss with your household how to practice sustainable meat consumption and learn about where your meat comes from.
- Reduce your sugar use, including processed foods that have forms of sugar near the top of the ingredient list.
- Practice composting in your household; discuss with neighbours or friends ways to create or improve community composting.
to order 7 Days to Tend the Earth, a free devotional guide with daily prayers, art, scripture, and stories about food production.